Wedding gift money donated to Sidmouth Donkey Sanctuary
NEWLYWEDS on their honeymoon in Devon have donated nearly �400 to Sidmouth Donkey Sanctuary. Alison Hooper and Sampsa Leather, who married in Andover on June 5, asked family and friends to give a donation to the donkey charity in lieu of wedding gifts
NEWLYWEDS on their honeymoon in Devon have donated nearly �400 to Sidmouth Donkey Sanctuary.
Alison Hooper and Sampsa Leather, who married in Andover on June 5, asked family and friends to give a donation to the donkey charity in lieu of wedding gifts and raised �398.50.
The couple, who hail from March, Cambridgeshire, made a special visit to the Sanctuary on Thursday to hand over the money to Dawn Vincent, senior PR officer and granddaughter of the Sanctuary's founder, Dr Elisabeth Svendesen.
Alison and Sampsa told the Sanctuary: "We decided to donate the money to the Sanctuary because donkeys are nice, they don't get as much coverage as other animals, and they need our help. We couldn't think of a better reason why not."
You may also want to watch:
Dawn said: "Alison and Sampsa have made a very kind gesture, and we would also like to thank their wedding guests who donated so generously. "�400 is a great deal of money and will be put to very good use in helping to care, protect and rescue donkeys around the world. Thank you."
In these difficult economic times, the charity is not alone in feeling the financial squeeze and is affected by the increase in donkeys being relinquished into its care each month because their owners can no longer afford to keep them.
- 1 The strangest possible score in rugby
- 2 Be prepared! Plan for uncertain months ahead
- 3 Sidmouth drug dealer spared immediate jail sentence
- 4 Illuminations by the sea start Christmas in Sidmouth
- 5 Inside story on pub kitchens provides food for thought
- 6 Tories' approach to councillor checks could fuel hysteria
- 7 Sidmouth’s Antony Hall secures 2nd with 7+ hours of running
- 8 Stay positive and hope staycations are here to stay
- 9 So much to enjoy on our doorstep... despite the crowds
- 10 Archbishop of Canterbury to join Patteson celebrations
For further information about The Donkey Sanctuary call 01395 578222 or visit www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk.