What is happening at Salston Manor?
- Credit: Archant
Concern has been expressed after questions were asked over the progress of work on the Salston Manor this week.
Hopes were raised in May when it was reported that renovations had finally started to bring the Grade II listed former hotel on the edge of Ottery ‘back from the brink’.
This followed ‘significant concerns’ which had previously been raised by conservation officers about its dilapidated state.
Mayor Glyn Dobson said at the time that developers had assured him work to transform the historic manor into 27 flats should be completed within 18 months.
However, there was disappointment this week when a town council meeting heard that the site appeared to be unoccupied.
You may also want to watch:
Deputy mayor, Councillor Ian Holmes, told planning committee colleagues on Monday: “I have been out to Salston Manor this morning and it’s all locked up and no-one is there.
“It looks like nothing has been done since we last went there three months ago - and there does not appear to be anyone on site.
- 1 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 2 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 3 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 4 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 5 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 6 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 7 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
- 8 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 9 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 10 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
“The whole of the end of the building is exposed. I think we need to contact East Devon District Council (EDDC).
“We need to get on to the conservation officer, because if it’s exposed to the elements, it will be gone. We had these assurances but nothing is happenning.”
An EDDC spokesperson told the Herald yesterday: “Progress is being made on the legal agreement to allow the planning permission for Salston Manor to be issued. Our planning officers will be meeting the applicants on site later this month to discuss their application for development of this Grade II Listed property.”
The authority raised concerns about the ‘seriously deteriorated’ state of the manor in October last year and outlined a list of ‘urgent’ remedial work needed to prevent further damage.
The town council passed its concerns on to EDDC this week.
Speaking yesterday (Thursday), Cllr Holmes said: “The town council is very concerned about the lack of progress.
“It’s a shame because the manor is part of the town’s history.”
The Herald approached Jirehouse Capital, solicitors acting on behalf of the Salston Manor owner, for comment, but had received no reply as it went to press yesterday.