Whimple singer reaches for the stars
A King’s School pupil continued her quest to become a musician by winning through to the latest round of a competition to unearth unsigned talent.
Emma Lauran, 16, from Whimple, won a place at the regional final of ‘Live and Unsigned’ in February, as reported in the Herald, and last Sunday dazzled the judges again to progress to the next stage of the competition, and is now one performance away from playing at London’s O2 arena.
Emma, pictured above, played at the Plymouth Guildhall and was the first act to be put through to next month’s area final by the judges. She is now down to the last 300 acts out of 10,000 entrants and has a chance to appear at the national Grand Final and a professional recording contract.
The teenage singer was up against 20 other acts in Saturday’s show, who had to perform one cover and one original song. In front of a 600-strong audience including Emma’s friends and family who had hired a coach to come and support her, her name was the first act to be put through to the area final in Portsmouth in May.
Emma said: “It was an amazing feeling, we were all waiting backstage and when they announced my name first, I couldn’t believe it! Next minute I was up on stage being cheered and applauded.”
You may also want to watch:
Exeter shoppers may also have a chance to hear a sneak preview of Emma’s next entry during her regular busking appearances around the Princesshay shopping centre and she is also hoping to perform during Exeter’s Fringe Festival at the end of June.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 4 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 5 Date announced for unveiling of Ottery's Coleridge statue
- 6 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 7 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 8 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 9 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon