Woman falls from cliffs at Jacob’s Ladder
- Credit: Archant
Huge rescue operation in Sidmouth
A WOMAN was airlifted to hospital last night after falling from cliffs at Sidmouth.
Police, paramedics, coastguard and Sidmouth Lifeboat were called to the area, half way along Jacob’s Ladder beach.
The casualty, said to be in her mid-40s, suffered suspected spinal injuries and ‘considerable trauma’, according to rescuers.
Portland Coastguard’s helicopter was tasked to complete winched stretcher casualty recovery.
You may also want to watch:
The police helicopter was also scrambled.
Sidmouth Lifeboat was tasked at 7.39pm but weather, wave and surf conditions meant it was not suitable for its crew to recover the woman. It remained on stand-by.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 10 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
The casualty was airlifted to hospital at 8.50pm.