Woman to run in memory of Sidmouth dad
A KEEN runner will this weekend join 54,000 others to take part in the Great North Run in memory of her Sidmouth father. Rachel Burrow, who turned 47 last Sunday, will for the third year in a row make the trip up to Newcastle to compete in the most popula
A KEEN runner will this weekend join 54,000 others to take part in the Great North Run in memory of her Sidmouth father.
Rachel Burrow, who turned 47 last Sunday, will for the third year in a row make the trip up to Newcastle to compete in the most popular half marathon in the world on Sunday.
The Sidmouth Running Club member was convinced by her late father, John O'Connor, to apply for a place in 2007 and only two days after his death, she found out she was successful.
Rachel, who now lives in Slade Close in Ottery, said: "He kept asking if I'd heard anything and I just kept saying no. He died on February 7 and on the ninth I found out I got in. He never knew so I decided to run in his memory. He really did inspire me."
You may also want to watch:
Rachel is looking forward to this year's race, which covers 13.1 miles, and is hoping to bump into a few celebrities along the way.
She added: "A couple of years ago I ran with Steve McClaren but I had to overtake him! Gordon Ramsey and his wife are running this year and I would love to run with them."
- 1 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 2 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 3 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 4 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 5 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 6 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 7 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 8 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 9 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 10 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary
Rachel is aiming to beat her time of one minute 52 seconds last year, which she gained despite pulling her hamstring only weeks before.
She added: "If I can knock five minutes off my time I will be really happy.