Woods Farm travellers' site bid scrapped
PLANS to turn Tipton s Woods Farm Recycling Centre in to a gypsy and traveller site have been scrapped- and there are no immediate plans to close the facility.
PLANS to turn Tipton's Woods Farm Recycling Centre in to a gypsy and traveller site have been scrapped- and there are no immediate plans to close the facility.
Land-owner Devon County Council (DCC) has rebuffed an approach from East Devon District Council (EDDC) over the centre, which was identified as a potential pitch.
It is understood EDDC was told the site could only become available as a potential site for gypsies and travellers if and when a more suitable, permanent recycling facility could be built and opened.
County councillor Stuart Hughes said: "Woods Farm is the only civic amenity recycling centre that serves Sidmouth and Ottery. We are looking to provide an improved facility for that area, sites in Woolbrook and Sidford have been suggested but that is looking a long way ahead. Nothing will happen in the immediate future- there is no way you can adopt a travellers site there."
You may also want to watch:
A county council spokesman said Woods Farm has planning permission until 2012, and while the council is looking for a "more suitable" permanent site, it is open to "explore the possibility of extending the current site."
- EDDC remains interested in using land less than a mile away at the Bowd, Sidmouth as a potential gypsy and traveller site.
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 6 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 7 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 8 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser