Work of Sidmouth-based headteacher will live on to inspire future generations
- Credit: Archant
‘Sally’s love of life and learning remembered’
The work of a much-loved headteacher will live on to inspire future generations of pupils after a new classroom block was named in her honour.
Well-known Sally Roberts, who lived in Sidmouth, was described as having a ‘lasting impact’ on children and staff at St Peter’s Primary School in Budleigh Salterton at the official opening ceremony of its new educational building.
The Bishop of Crediton, the Reverend Dame Sarah Mullally, blessed the block ,which is dedicated to former headteacher Sally - who died from cancer in 2012.
Sally’s husband, Jeremy, a former principal of Sidmouth College, unveiled a plaque in her name and expressed his gratitude to the school and governors.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “For us it is just marvellous that, four years after Sally died, she is still remembered in this way – how many of us will be able to say that? Bishop Mullally spoke very movingly about gratitude and how important it is. We are just grateful that her love of life and learning and love of the community are remembered in this way and in this building. It is wonderful that she will be remembered in this way.”
Current headteacher at St Peter’s Steve Hitchcock called the classrooms a fitting tribute to Sally. He said: “She made a lasting impact on the children and staff at the school and will now be remembered for many years to come. It is truly heart-warming to walk down the corridor into a well-thought-out space that has a certain atmosphere of calm and purposefulness. We only wish we had another 10.”
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 7 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 8 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out