Works start on ‘danger’ BT cabinet at Sidmouth junction
PUBLISHED: 17:00 22 October 2017
Works to move a ‘danger’ cabinet at a Sidmouth junction began on Thursday.
It comes after calls from Highway bosses following complaints about an ‘obstructive’ Openreach box at a junction on Manstone Mead.
The Herald previously reported how the cabinet, which sits near the junction with Sidford Road, had been branded an ‘accident waiting to happen’ by concerned residents, who said its position impaired visibility and posed a danger to road users.
After its initial installation, Openreach said it ‘had no plans to move’ the cabinet and maintained that it complied with regulations and Devon County Council had approved the location.
However the company said they were open to discussing the matter with councillors.
Communications bosses then agreed to remove the equipment in June, following representations from Cllr Hughes and Devon’s highways chief - it was branded a victory of common sense.
At the time. Councillor Stuart Hughes said: “I’m delighted that common sense has prevailed and look forward to seeing the cabinet moved back.”
The cabinet is now set to be relocated a metre backwards onto the verge.
An Openreach spokesman said: “Though the current location had been approved by the Highways Authority, we have agreed to move the cabinet as a goodwill gesture.
“A new cabinet is now being installed closer to the wall and a few metres further away from the road junction.
“A considerable amount of engineering work is still needed before services can be transferred to the new cabinet and the original cabinet can be removed.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.