Wurlitzer fundraising concert
THE next series of concerts arranged in a bid to raise money for the restoration of Britain s oldest Wurlitzer in Beer will begin next weekend. Janet Dowsett, one of the UK s top entertainment organists, will be performing on the Beer Wurlitzer in theatre
THE next series of concerts arranged in a bid to raise money for the restoration of Britain's oldest Wurlitzer in Beer will begin next weekend.
Janet Dowsett, one of the UK's top entertainment organists, will be performing on the Beer Wurlitzer in theatre mode for the first of the concerts.
Her programme will include songs from the shows, marches, old favourites, and many more.
The Wurlitzer organ was the first to be imported into England from the USA in 1925 and in 1958 the organ was bought by Arthur Thorn of Beer who had it installed in the Congregational Church.
But all of its percussion instruments and special effects were disposed of as it was intended that the Wurlitzer was to be used for church purposes.
Glen Twanley, of Friends of BeerWurly, said: "England's oldest Wurlitzer theatre organ is a piece of modern social history and rightly deserves to be returned to its former glory.
- 1 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 2 Sidmouth Hospice at Home fulfils local man's final wish
- 3 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 4 British Heart Foundation shop in Sidmouth urgently seeking volunteers
- 5 School steps up safety at road crossing areas
- 6 Temperatures drop to -5C in Devon - but how's the weekend looking?
- 7 'Good news - a new restaurant in Sidmouth!'
- 8 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 9 Careless charity shop donors cost Devon Air Ambulance money
- 10 Record level of police numbers will soon have a positive effect on our communities
"The missing percussion items and special effects will all need to be replaced. The purchase of these items and the work needed to be able to achieve this will cost several thousands of pounds.
"There is a lot of enthusiasm at the church and fundraising has already begun to help reach this goal."
The first concert will take place on Sunday, March 15 at 2pm.
Details of other concerts and more details about the historic Wurlitzer can be found on the website www.beerwurly.co.uk.