Xmas doctors plea to Sidmouth and Ottery
DOCTORS are urging residents in Sidmouth and Ottery to use the NHS wisely and not let injury or illness spoil their Christmas.
Choosing the most appropriate service means people will get more effective advice and treatment over the holiday period, says NHS Devon.
GP practices and many pharmacies are closed from tomorrow (Saturday, December 24) to Tuesday, December 27, and again from January 1 to 2.
Both Sidmouth Health Centre and the Coleridge Medical Centre in Ottery will shut at 6pm today (Friday) and will reopen on Wednesday (December 27). The practices will also be closed on Monday, January 2.
Tracey Polak, NHS Devon’s consultant in public health, said the festive period sees a large increase in the number of people who make calls to emergency services and the Devon Doctors out-of-hours service.
You may also want to watch:
“This creates a problem for people who have an urgent need for these services,” she said.
“If you are in doubt over where to get treatment it is advisable to contact NHS Direct as this could save time spent in waiting rooms.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 7 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 8 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 9 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
- 10 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
“It is also worth bearing in mind that pharmacies provide a range of health services, including medication for common complaints like coughs, colds, aches and pains and other health issues, such as healthy eating, sexual health and giving up smoking.”
For general health advice call NHS Direct on 0845 46 47 or go online at www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk
Anyone with an urgent medical problem that cannot wait until the surgery reopens can call Devon Doctors on 0845 6710 270.
Patients that require urgent dental care outside of normal working hours should call 01392 823 682.
Residents are reminded that, in an emergency, they should call 999 immediately or go to your nearest accident and emergency department.