Young chef from Beer ready to take on the best
A Beer teenager is through to a national cooking competition final and the chance of winning a food trip of a lifetime.
Zoe Sing, 15, is ready to create a stir in the final of this year’s Rotary International in Great Britain and Ireland (RIBI) Young Chef Competition.
She wowed judges at the regional finals at Cornwall College in Redruth last weekend with a starter of pea puree with Thai prawns and pea shoots, a main course of Duck breast with creamed cabbage, fried butternut squash and chicory tarts served with a cherry sauce, and a desert of Dark chocolate mousse with hazelnut praline.
The 15 year-old will now face other top young chefs from across the country in the grand final which is being held in Stratford-upon-Avon College, Warwickshire, on the 30th April. Zoe will have only two hours to create a three course meal within the �15 budget in front of a panel of expert judges, including TV chef Valentine Warner.
The prize will be a trip to Italy to visit the olive groves of the competition sponsor Filippo Berio in Tuscany to experience real Italian cooking, and a day’s cooking tuition at the Michelin-starred Auberge du Lac restaurant in Hertfordshire under the guidance of Chef Phil Thompson, who is also a judge at the final.
You may also want to watch:
The RIBI Young Chef competition was created to give young people across Great Britain and Ireland the chance to display their creative talents with food, while discovering the importance of healthy eating. President of RIBI, Jim Moulson, will be attending the final: “I am very proud of all our competitors. Getting through to the school and regional finals is an achievement in itself. South West regional winner Zoe has worked very hard and now faces an even tougher challenge in Stratford-Upon-Avon where she is facing the best from across the country.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 10 Set aside a wild patch in your garden - better to watch than the television!