Young writers from Ottery St Mary can still enter new competition
- Credit: Archant
The deadline has been extended for the John Gaffney Writing Award and more prizes are up for grabs
Aspiring young Ottery writers still have a chance to submit entries for a unique new contest – and there is now even more to gain.
The John Gaffney Writing Award was launched this year to honour the late editor of the Ottery Gazette and encourage new journalistic talent among residents aged from 11 to 17.
Now, following a deal with Sainsbury’s that enabled organisers to increase the prizes that are up for grabs, they have also decided to extend the deadline for submissions.
The topic is ‘Ottery’ and budding wordsmiths are encouraged to be creative and submit work about any aspect of the parish – past, present or future.
You may also want to watch:
Judges will seek originality, interest, initiative and imagination in the entries – which should be no more than 1,500 words in length.
Anyone between the age of 11 and under-17 on December 1, 2015, is encouraged to enter and could stand to win a first prize of £50 cash, £25 of book tokens and a £50 Sainsbury’s voucher.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 6 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 7 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 8 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 9 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
Former journalist Philip Algar launched the competition in memory of John’s contribution to the community.
He said: “This is an excellent opportunity for budding young local writers to see their work in print or, hopefully, hear it on air.”
All entries must show the writer’s name, address and date of birth and should preferably be sent electronically to email@example.com. Alternatively, they can be submitted on paper to Ottery Town Council, 8 Broad Street, Ottery St Mary, EX 11 1BZ.
All competitors should clearly label their submission with the word COMPETITION.