Sidmouth Chiefs scored four tries in each half to defeat Burnham-on-Sea 52-14 in a game they controlled for much of the time, but they remain behind Wadebridge and Crediton on points difference, writes Terry O'Brien.

The Chiefs scored after five minutes with a fine try from a slick handling move on the right of a scrum on the opposing ten metre line. Sam Heathcote still had one man to beat, which he did easily to score in the corner. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful.

The second try came when Shaun Malton looped around the back of a lineout just outside the 22 to break the first line of defence and send Jake Smith clear for a try. Jake Allen kicked the first of six conversions.

Midway through the half, the Chiefs looked favourites to score but a pass was intercepted for the Burnham full back to outpace the covering backs for a converted try.

Ten minutes later Shaun Malton fielded a missed kick to touch and set up a counter-attack. Sam Heathcote scored his second try on the overlap.

In first half injury time came the best try of the afternoon when Jake Allen broke from his own 22 to start a handling move finished off by Cian Warren to make the half-time score 24-7.

Five minutes into the second half Phil Dollman made a half break drawing in two players before offloading to George Locke to finish the move off. Midway through the half, the ball was moved through many phases until Connor Preston put in a powerful run to score under the posts.

When the ball was turned over on halfway, Cian Warren outpaced the cover to score his second try.

Burnham scored their second try when their forwards set siege to the Sidmouth line until the inside centre ran a good angle to cut through and touch down. The try was converted.

With minutes to go, the Chiefs turned over possession on the 22 for Archie Cruze to run through for a try under the posts to complete the scoring.

On Saturday, the Colts take on Oakmeadians Colts at Blackmore kicking off at 3pm. The Chiefs return to action on November 4 at Chard.