Sidmouth Quins left it late to snatch a last-gasp 26-25 victory in the Counties 3 Tribute Devon North & East league against New Cross last Saturday.

There was no indication of the final result in the first half, which was dominated by New Cross, who took the lead after 10 minutes. 

A quick tap penalty set up a ruck near the line and the fly-half ran a good angle to crash over for a try converted by the outside centre.

Play was soon back in the Sidmouth half and New Cross drove over from close range after the ball had been progressed through several phases. The try was converted.

Soon after the restart, the Quins were able to kick a penalty to the corner where they drove over for Shaun Harrison to touch down an unconverted try.

New Cross were soon back in the Sidmouth half and extended their lead with a penalty and a pushover try to make the half-time score 22-5.

After the break, the Quins started to get back into the game as New Cross began to tire. Excellent driving play by the Sidmouth forwards created space for Jan Mercan to sprint over from 30 metres down the left touchline. Adam Squance added the conversion.

Midway through the half, the Quins produced the try of the match when they fielded a kick on halfway to set up a counterattack. Accurate handling set up Sam Bassnet for a converted try.

New Cross responded with a successful penalty leaving the Quins needing a converted try to win, which they achieved in dramatic fashion.

The Quins did not take the lead until injury time in this tense and very entertaining game. With time running out, New Cross failed to find touch with a clearance kick.

Mark Bishop fielded the ball just inside his own half and spotted space on the far side of the pitch. His long diagonal kick bounced kindly for Yan Mercan, who nudged it on over the line and won the chase to touch down. Adam Squance’s conversion was followed by the final whistle.

On Saturday the Chiefs entertain Crediton at 2.30pm on the Blackmore Field.

The Quins travel to Crediton while the Colts entertain Bideford Colts in their last qualifying game for the Devon Cup at Sidford at 2.30pm.