3rds were battling and brave
Topsham 2nds 13, Sidmouth 3rds 0
A battling and brave display by Sidmouth 3rds saw them just come up short against a strong Topsham side writes Will Holland
The first half saw a great rolling maul go on for at least 25 metres to help Sidmouth make progress into the Topsham half, where poor decision making and handling errors cost them their just reward.
A great cover tackle by Mark Oke denied Topsham late in the first half but Topsham did eventually cross the whitewash to score a try and also add a penalty to leave it 8-0 to the home side at half time.
The second half continued in much the same vein as Sidmouth were starved of possession by the bigger Topsham pack and, but for great defence, the home side should have added more points. Adam Howe was the main threat for the visitors with plenty of barracking runs but support was often lacking and turnovers resulted in Sidmouth giving the ball up on far too many occasions. In the end, the pressure told, and Topsham added a second try to make it 13-0 final score.
You may also want to watch:
Special mention to Luke Knight who made a rare appearance for the third team where his experience and leadership were invaluable and to Bryn Thomas who was a constant menace at the breakdown area. I would also like to thank the team as a whole for a committed and valiant effort. Pats on the back also to Simon Emmerson and Kevin Luke who came in at the last minute to bolster the squad.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 9 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight