Accurate Anderson drives the first tee better than anybody else
THERE were two back-to-back competitions played at the club last week, writes
The first was The Men’s Open 3-ball team competition involving one score to count, and the second was the Professionals Day with the course being in excellent condition, a factor certainly born out by the very high scoring.
The men’s Open event drew visiting teams from all different clubs in Devon and beyond.
The competition was won by the club manager, the plumber and the handyman! J P Lee, P Tallon, and M Thomas were the winners with an incredible score of 52.
In second place were B Rostron, D Heywood, P Abrahams, with a score of 56 a score also realised by K Legg R Turner D Jones but, when count back was deployed, it was Rostron, Heywood and Abrahams who claimed second place.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors prize went to a Tiverton team of D Maccardlet, R Furloner and L Harley with a score of 57 followed by a Stover team comprising, P Collings, W Godfrey and N Dodd in second place.
Third in the visiting stakes were M Lazenby, D Winn and G Manfield with a score of 59 from Enmore Park .
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 8 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 9 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 10 Lockdown has shown the importance of nature and the need for us to nurture each other
The Professionals Day was set up to be a fun day with the professional bringing a lot of friends from his former clubs to take part. The competition was a four team event playing off full handicap with two scores to count.
The winning team was K Legg, R Turner, E Mcmath and D Jones with a score of 95 points. In second place there was something of a surprise with it being the junior section of the club with a score of 94 – take a bow G Channing, S Channing, N Brace and J Gigg.
Third place went to G Webster, M Delahaye, J Greenslade and D Greenslade with a score of 93.
The ladies prize went to J Lye, S Thomson, M Timms and Y Anning with an excellent score of 92
Nearest the pin prize on the fourth went to Ron Davies whilst nearest the pin on the 12th went to vice captain Paul Hitchcock. The most accurate drive up to the first went to John Anderson.
The Pro event kindly provided a food and drinks station at the tenth temporary green, manned by a couple of nice young ladies, this something I am sure would have lightened up some of the golfers. The Pro’s change on the 12th tee was taken up and enjoyed by most of the teams.
Praise must be passed on to the Green keeper and his staff for the condition of the course