Ackland at the double as SOHC D inflict rare defeat on table toppers
Sidmouth and Ottery 2, Minehead B 0 Sidmouth and Ottery D consigned the South East Three table toppers to only their second defeat of the season with a slick all-round performance at Sidmouth Leisure Centre.
When the sides had met in North Somerset on the opening day of the season the home side won 5-2, but it was all-change this time round!
The first half saw the visitors dominate the game, but a combination of saves by keeper Maher and some solid defence, including good work from Baker and West, meant they had no joy whilst, at the other end, the hosts struck the only goal of the half. Ellison began the move and when he picked out Ackland the later slapped it home from 10-metres in the 35th minute.
During the break Mackie rearranged the defensive and attacking structures and called for the team to play closer together. These simple changes boosted the quality of Sid’s game almost immediately. They played simple hockey and were able to pass and move their way around the pitch. As they did this, their confidence grew and they won several penalty corners and created further opportunities.
The lead was doubled when Ackland netted after a period of sustained home pressure.
You may also want to watch:
Rudolph and Vincent showed great determination and no little skill to harangue the Minehead defence and when Vincent stole the ball, his eventual shot was marginally wide of becoming goal number three!
The victory lifts the side into third spot in the table, their highest position of the season to date and testimony to the change in fortunes following a poor start to the campaign.
- 1 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 2 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 9 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
They return to action on January 12 when they travel to Isca E.