Aggressive flame’ failed to ignite
All teams have off days, and this was Sidmouth s for the season. The aggressive flame, so omnipresent in recent times, failed to ignite against a strong and faster Wadebridge team. The home side s physicality and intensity at the breakdown resulted in
All teams have 'off' days, and this was Sidmouth's for the season.
The aggressive flame, so omnipresent in recent times, failed to ignite against a strong and faster Wadebridge team.
The home side's physicality and intensity at the breakdown resulted in their gaining turnover ball throughout the game, Sidmouth unable to use their running and passing game to any extent.
It certainly wasn't one-way traffic, though, and some strong performances from Rutland and Welsford (whose aggressive flames were apparently well and truly lit), Mario (with a try-saving tackle that cannot go unmentioned) and Down (very powerful with ball in hand - but not foot!) kept the visiting side in touch.
You may also want to watch:
The first half had started with a try for the home side, who went on to have the lion's share of possession and were generally stronger in the contact areas.
Courageous Sidmouth's battling eventually brought reward in the shape of a try for Webber following a strong run from full back Faulkner, leaving honours shared at 5-5 at the turnaround.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 9 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 10 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
The second half continued with Sidmouth giving the ball away too often and struggling to contain the home side's attack, resulting in three more tries conceded.
Never a team to give in, the boys fought hard and tries for Wells-Burr and Goddard kept the scores close. Not good enough on the day but the boys will learn from the experience and move on. Contact skills practice at training this week no doubt.