All’s fair in hard-fought draw

Sidmouth 2nds were home to Ivybridge at the weekend. Picture by Alex Walton. Ref shsp 2685-05-13AW.

Sidmouth 2nds were home to Ivybridge at the weekend. Picture by Alex Walton. Ref shsp 2685-05-13AW. To order your copy of this photograph, go to and click on myphotos24 - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth 2nd XV 18, Ivybridge 18

Both sides contributed to a entertaining encounter on a sodden pitch which was only deemed playable after a mid morning inspection, writes Steve Channing.

The visitors had the best of the opening quarter, bringing the best out of Sidmouth’s defence, including a great steal at a ruck by lock Chris Otway.

Scott Davies followed up a try-saving tackle, returning a kick, from inside his 22 metre area before passing to Ben Salter, five metres before the half way line, who went on to score a super individual try. Ben Ward’s conversion rebounded off the post.

Despite conceding against the run of play, Ivybridge continued to have the majority of possession. Mike Down, playing his first game of the season, intercepted on the line when a try looked certain.Roger Goulding then carried the ball up the blindside for 20 metres to give the home side a breather.

You may also want to watch:

Ivybridge equalised 10 minutes before half time with a well-worked catch and drive following a five metre line out, then punished the Quins with another score which was well worked by the backs to lead at the break 10-5.

Sidmouth started the second half with strong runs from Matt Farrington, Ben Halford and impressive colt, John Youngman.

Most Read

Scott Davies and Ben Pratt combined to give Ben Dobson room to run in for a levelling score out wide. Jevon Astley-Jones, playing scrum half, and George Lock both made important tackles.

James Powell received quick ball, making good meterage, before off-loading in the tackle to Ben Dobson who ran through three defenders for his second. Ward once again saw his conversion attempt rebound off the post.

Ivybridge lost a player for 10 minutes after a high tackle on Sam Cummins.

Adam Howe, on for his first appearance as a forward, gave a fresh impetus, as both sides went for the winning score.

Mike Down left the field after a blow to the head. Ben Ward struck a penalty with minutes remaining for what the home side believed would be the winning score.

Not to be outdone Ivybridge worked their way in to Sidmouth’s final third, through hard work and indiscipline from the home team, striking a penalty with the last kick of the match, for a fair result 18-18.

This week the Quins travel to Barnstaple for a rearranged league game.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus