All Sidmouth tournament final

Sidmouth Raiders and Warriors meet in Creciton final

Sidmouth U11 Warriors looked to win the Crediton tournament at the fourth time of asking. An uncharacteristic fast start saw the side win their first match 9-0 and win their group easily by following this with five more comprehensive victories, scoring 27 goals with just one in reply.

The quarter final was a closer affair, with only stout defending by makeshift sweeper Charlie Freeman keeping a battling and more determined Pinhoe side at bay.

Jonny Dunn’s powerful strike was the difference between the two sides. The semi-final was the sternest test against an Exeter Academy side.

The Warriors switched on, battled fiercely and produced one of their best performances of the season. The sides’ two Under-10s, Ollie Jarrett and Ben Miller, were phenomenal, breaking up the opposition play and bagging all three goals in a 3-1 extra time victory.

You may also want to watch:

Joe Miller was solid in goal and Jacob Rowe typically skillful and creative in the centre of midfield.

In the final against the Sidmouth Raiders side, the Warriors were soon behind. However, they battled to the end and were unlucky not to score, with Roel Ruigrok catching the eye with pinpoint passing and a top corner bound shot athletically saved by the excellent Marks in the Raiders goal.

Most Read

Congratulations to the Raiders side on masterminding a Sidmouth success at the festival for the first time.

l Sidmouth under 11’s Raiders had a perfect day last Saturday with seven wins and seven clean sheets as they won the Crediton six a side tournament for the first time.

They started with a 1-0 win over Pinhoe Gladiators, followed by a 4-0 success against Pinhoe Warriors.

A very tight game against Thorverton was won courtesy of a Harvey Sargeant penalty, a 1-0 win against Quedgley B saw the Raiders qualify for the quarter-finals as group winners.

A hat-trick from Alex Stone, two from Dylan King and one from Connor Murphy, against Quedgley C, saw a comfortable qualification to the semis.

The semi-final saw a re-match against Quedgley B, Sidmouth were hugely indebted to Finlay Marks in goal for keeping it goalless at half time after a sluggish display.

A completely different Sidmouth appeared for the second half and two goals from Connor Murphy and one each for Sargeant and Freddie King saw Sidmouth run out comfortable winners of a final all the players, managers, parents and supporters wanted.

The final against Sidmouth Warriors was fiercely fought after all the pre-match banter.

The Raiders got off to the perfect start with Stone intercepting a throw from the keeper before slotting the ball home coolly. The Warriors started to come on strongly and only a magnificent save, high to his right, from Marks kept the Raiders in front.

A solid defensive display in the second half from Tyler Wellman and Sam Hicks kept the Warriors at bay. The sound of the final whistle was received with both joy and relief.

Manager Sean Murphy would like to say it was both an honour and privilege to be associated with such an excellent and talented bunch of players and to get both teams to the final of such a high-quality tournament shows how strong a group of lads we have at Sidmouth.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus