Angelic edges classic encounter
- Credit: Archant
Fixture clashes meant runners were thin on the ground for the Dart Vale and Haldon Harriers pony races at Buckfastleigh, but they still proved entertaining for the crowd.
Tyler Heard from Boscastle and Tamby Welch from Totnes are two of the youngest riders on the circuit, at 11 and 10 years old respectively, but they proved their piloting skills in a tricky two pony race for the 138 prize on heavy ground.
Welch on Bronze Lawrance had a six length advantage from the start and maintained the lead over Heard on the favourite Angelic until the end of the first straight.
As the riders approached the corner, Heard had pegged back Welch and gone into a slight lead, but Welch doggedly fought back.
It wasn’t until the final climb close to home that Angelic was able to draw clear and win by six lengths.
You may also want to watch:
Hot favourite Total Eclipse dominated the betting for the 148 race, but in this race, too, the runners were tightly bunched as they raced along the first straight.
Mick The Miller (Millie Wonnacott) led early on and set the pace alongside Tarka (Tina Smith), with Plym Steps (Michael Treneer) right up there, and Total Eclipse (Hannah Welch) held up in the rear.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 8 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
The field were nip and tuck around the bend as they approached the run for home and Welch produced Total Eclipse for her move as the course straightened.
The mare won but was pushed all the way to the line by former leading pony Tarka and there look to be some good battles ahead between these two.
The next pony races are at the East Cornwall point to point at Great Trethew on Easter Saturday 1.30pm.
Results: 138: 1, Angelic, Tyler Heard; 2, Bronze Lawrance, Tamby Welch. Two ran, 6l, 1.41.
148: 1, Total Eclipse, Hannah Welch; 2, Tarka, Tina Smith; 3, Mick The Miller, Millie Wonnacott; 4, Plym Steps, Michael Treneer. Four ran, 3l, 6l, 1.37.