Another unbeaten half century for Tolley as he passed 18,000 runs for Tipton
- Credit: Archant
After the scheduled match against Cavendish Cavaliers was cancelled, Geriatrics stepped in to provide Tipton with welcomed opposition, writes Phil Wright.
The visitors won the toss, but struggled after electing to bat first. Indeed, half their team were back in the pavilion with just 19 runs on the board!
Much of the early damage was done by some excellent bowling from David Birch who took 2-9 and Mark Channon, who claimed 2-14.
In between Amelia Tolley ran out John Poat with a great throw from mid-wicket to wicket keeper David Jessop.
However, for the second match in a row, Tipton were unable to kill off the opposition as a partnership of 30 between Charlie Garrett and Andrew Padfield was bettered by a late flurry by Tony Boughton (39) and Pete Welsh (12) as Geriatrics recovered to 120-7. John Buckland with 2-25 took the final wickets to fall.
You may also want to watch:
Tipton, fielding a weaker batting line up than normal were reliant on the top three. They did have the services of run machine Phil Tolley who passed 18,000 runs for Tipton once he reached 17.
Dave Jessop was bowled for 13, but captain Dave Alford with 17 helped Tolley take the score to 83 before he was also bowled.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 6 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 7 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
Al Matthews provided good support to Tolley scoring just four in a partnership of 38 as Tipton won by eight wickets with Tolley unbeaten on 82 as the win was confirmed.
Sunday (September 27), sees Tipton complete the 2020 season when they entertain Heads & Tails.