Arnold and Hawke star as Ottery U18s give Brixington the Blues
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary Under-18s were 4-1 winners when they travelled to Exmouth to contest a Devon League fixture.
In an impressive all-round show from the Otters, the individual honours went to a couple of the youngest players in the team with 16-year-olds Charlie Arnold and Josh Hawke putting in mature shifts.
Ottery made a bright start and only the depth of the crossbar denied Scott De Gruchy, who also saw a first half-hour effort zip just wide of the mark.
The deadlock was finally broken in the 35th minute when, after good approach play involving Sam Pyne and De Grunchy, Lewis Banfield fired the Otters head and they took their one goal lead into the break.
An early second half penalty – albeit a contentious one after what seemed an innocuous challenge – restored parity. However, Callum Crow stamped his mark on proceedings by winning the ball in midfield with a trademark challenge before he rode his way through a couple of tackles and then, once in range of goal, he passed it into the bottom corner of the net to restore the Otters’ lead.
You may also want to watch:
A period of Ottery domination followed and a second goal from Banfield increased the lead.
In the closing stages, shortly after Joseph Green had gone close, Pyne hit the sweetest of strikes from 25 yards to complete the scoring.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution