Availability continues to be the biggest woe for Town bosses
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town, weather permitting, head for North Devon and a trip to Appledore for their latest South West Peninsula League Eastern Division action on Saturday.
Town last played away on October 27 when they went down 6-1 at Stoke Gabriel, since when they have had just two further league outings, the 2-1 Manstone Lane defeat at the hands of Alphington and, in their most recent outing, the 3-1 home win over Teignmouth on November 17.
Town joint boss boss Kevin Tooze says: “We hope the game is on, but it has to be in some doubt given the recent weather! “That said, it’s that time of year when you are always likely to have the elements play their part.”
One issue that continues to be a problem for Tooze and his fellow joint boss Danny Burwood is availability.
He says: “Availability is a real issue these days – arguably one of the biggest problems for football clubs at our level. Yes, there are exceptions for I am pretty sure the likes of Elmore and Stoke Gabriel do not have such problems and have a squad of players itching to play each and every week, but that’s not the case for us and many similar sized clubs playing at this level. It is certainly not like it used to be back in our playing days when, as a player, you’d make yourself available at every opportunity! But then I guess in the modern era there’s so many ‘other things’ for the lads to be doing on a Saturday.”
You may also want to watch:
Tooze continued: “I don’t think it helps that our second team, playing as they do at a high standard in the local league, are in such a small division, which means so few games.
“That is clearly a factor in players ‘losing’ a bit of desire to make themselves available.
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 8 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 9 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
“It is frustrating, but then it is what it is and, as I have already said, we are not alone as a club troubled with availability woes. There’s plenty of others in the same boat.”