AVR ladies unfazed by mist and rock at the Yorkshire 3Peaks Challenge event
- Credit: Archant
A hard core team of ladies; Janet Woodward, Sue and Jess Tubs, Carole Goddard, Gill Day plus guest man Jon Day successfully conquered the Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge on Saturday, writes Dave Mutter.
The circular 25-mile route scaled Pen-y-gent, Whernside and Ingleborough. The girls registered their start at 5:30am and stormed the first peak in under an hour, not being fazed by the mist and rock scrambling to get to the summit. Buoyed up by the terrific start the team had a leisurely lunch at 9:30am only to be faced by a long trek and then a 4 mile ascent to the summit of Whernside.
The scenery was spectacular but the girls had to keep full focus on the very technical descent. Ingleborough was the sting in the tail, with a near
Once off the top the last challenge was to psychologically overcome the Yorkshire sign posting where the alleged two miles dragged on for nearer five!
You may also want to watch:
A last minute sprint saw the girls clocking in under nine hours, smashing the 12 hour limit. A superb effort by everyone involved!
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 6 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!