Beer and Seaton share the spoils in derby draw


- Credit: Archant

Beer Albion and Seaton Town shared the spoils in an entertaining East Devon 1-1 draw at the Furzebrake, writes Richard Honnor.

The match, played in front of a crowd of 150, was a typical hard-fought derby encounter with neither side being able to dominate throughout he 90 minutes.

Whilst much of Seaton’s possession and approach play was easier on the eye, Beer’s more direct style carried the bigger threat on the day and the Fishermen’s players were disappointed not to have come away with the three points. The real highlights of the game were two spectacular goals.

From the outset the game was evenly contested with both defences on top. But it was Beer who showed first on 16 minutes as George Harwood who was making good runs down the right was foiled by a good tackle just as he threatened on goal.

A couple of minutes later, Chris Long was put through, but his attempted chip over the advancing Seaton keeper missed the target.

You may also want to watch:

Seaton’s first real threat came on 25 minutes when creative midfielder Jacob Rowe shot narrowly wide but Beer’s Jake Clode countered a minute later with a good strike from 25-yards which went narrowly wide.

Chances were few and far between. For the Fishermen, a good cross from Harwood was seized on by Clode who was unlucky not to score when his shot was deflected away by the keeper’s legs. As the first half drew to a close, Beer keeper Mark Rooke was at full stretch to save the Seasiders’ first effort on target.

Most Read

The second half started brightly, and, on 47 minutes, Rooke had to be alert again at his left post to thwart an early Seaton strike.

Immediately from his clearance came the best goal seen at the Furzebrake this season - a screaming 25-yard volley from nowhere from striker Chris Long to put Beer 1-0 ahead.

Long almost doubled the Fishermen’s lead on 57 minutes when his shot on the turn found its way under the keeper’s body but was scrambled away off the Seaton goal-line. A minute later Long’s cross-chip found Sam Phillips in space but the midfielder shot wide from 20-yards.

As the half wore on the Seasiders midfield were getting more possession.

Beer’s defence well-marshalled by Pat Baldwin was looking solid although it took a desperate tackle by Mike Wheeler to prevent Seaton equalising on 67 minutes.

The Seasider’s equaliser did however, come on 78 minutes, when a spectacular 30-yard strike from Richard Durrant was still rising as it hit the roof of the net.

Both sides strove hard for a late winner. Firstly for Beer, Richard Walker’s turn and shot was foiled by the Seaton keeper on 80 minutes and, four minutes later, a fine tackle by Baldwin prevented Seaton’s Knox from scoring.

The Beer Man of the Match award went to the hard-working Jake Clode while, for Seaton, creative mid-fielder Jacob Rowe caught the eye.

This Saturday (December 10), the Beer first team travel to fellow Premier Division strugglers Newton St Cyres. Beer Reserves entertain Alphington Thirds in a Macron League Division Five match with kick-off being 2.15. Saturday’s match sponsor is Mike Anning.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus