Beer beaten, but Fenny keeper plays big part in the game

Feniton away at Beer Albion. Ref mhsp 02-17TI 5098. Picture: Terry Ife

Feniton away at Beer Albion. Ref mhsp 02-17TI 5098. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Beer Albion’s unbeaten league run came to an end when they were beaten 4-1 by East Devon rivals Feniton at the Furzebrake on Saturday, writes Richard Honnor.

The game was much closer than the score line suggests, but the difference was that Fenny were more clinical with their finishing.

The early pressure came from Feniton through two corners, but Beer created the first real opportunities first Chris Long on nine minutes and then Simon Smith on 16 minutes, both shooting narrowly wide.

The sides seemed evenly matched at this stage and Feniton went close on 22 minutes when a long cross from the left was met by the unmarked Feniton winger who hooked the ball wide.

The Fishermen’s midfield was functioning well with Sam Phillips and Alex Hunt breaking up play and Simon Smith creating things.

You may also want to watch:

However, Beer suffered a huge blow on the half hour when player-boss Richard Walker went off with a calf injury.

Nonetheless they almost went ahead on 28 minutes when Andrew Foster’s 20 yard goal-bound strike was pushed onto the crossbar by Fenny keeper Adrian Pullin.

Most Read

Feniton took the lead on 32 minutes when a corner found the unmarked Selley on the far post and his clever looping header to the opposite corner of the goal evaded the despairing Beer defence.

Beer responded well and, on 37 minutes, a curling free-kick from Chris Long was scrambled behind by keeper Pullin.

On the stroke of half-time Feniton went 2-0 ahead after the Fishermen’s defence gave the ball away 25-yards out resulting in Selley scoring his second with a clinical finish.

After the break Beer strived bravely to narrow the score line and were creating plenty of chances.

On 48 minutes, Long, who looked sharp all game, headed wide from a Smith corner and, just three minutes later, Pullin again thwarted his well-struck free-kick.

It clearly was not going to be Beer’s day when a terrific strike from Long from 18-yards rattled the Fenny crossbar on 55 minutes.

That man Pullin again came to Fenny’s rescue on 65 minutes brilliantly saving Alex Hunt’s effort from close range.

Then, one minute later, Feniton’s first effort on goal in the second period they went 3-0 ahead.

The Fishermen’s defence was caught out by the pace of Fenny’s wing play setting up Lewis Ede who finished coolly from 10 yards.

Fenny completed the scoring with a fourth five minutes from time when their influential player-boss Ben Ede’s cross shot was deflected in by Jon French.

Beer scored a late consolation on 87 minutes when the hard-working Smith headed in George Harwood’s free kick from close range.

Match sponsor Mike Vine of The Cloth Shop Seaton and Crewkerne awarded the Man of the Match to Feniton keeper Pullin for his outstanding display. Beer’s best player on the day was Simon Smith.

On Saturday (January 14), the Beer first team are without a game, but the reserves are in action entertaining South Zeal United in a macron League match. Kick-off at the Furzebrake is 2.15pm and the match sponsor is Woozie’s Deli, Fore Street, Beer.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus