Beer denied by last minute Seaton goal

Beer Albion away to Seaton. Ref shsp 1130-04-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife

Beer Albion away to Seaton. Ref shsp 1130-04-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Beer Albion shared the spoils in a closely-contested local derby at Seaton that ended 1-1, writes Richard Honnor.

The game took a while to spark into life, both sides appearing somewhat overawed by the occasion and it was not until the 20th minute that the first action was seen when Beer’s Chris Long fizzed a 20-yard strike just wide. Soon after a Long free-kick was headed over by John Cooper. The Seasiders were however starting to exploit space down both flanks caused by Beer’s narrow midfield and defensive line-up and keeper Steve Jones had to be alert first to save a Josh French lob on 30 minutes and to tip a fierce shot over the bar. Back came Beer to close the first half strongly and Joe Adkin’s downward header was scrambled off the line by the Seaton defence.

In a much more exciting second half, Beer adjusted their formation with wing-backs Sam Phillips and Josh Harrison providing greater width. The Fishermen were now enjoying their best spell of the game with some direct incisive football and they deservedly took the lead on 60 minutes when a Chris Long free-kick was tucked in by James Melville, beating Seaton keeper Mark Rooke’s despairing dive.

As in recent weeks, Beer had opportunities to increase their lead but failed to press home the advantage. Then, Seaton fought their way back into the contest and the Beer back line were being troubled by the long ball over the top. On 78 minutes, Jones made a fine save at full stretch to deny Seaton’s French an equaliser from a well-struck free-kick. Minutes later, Jones was again called into action tipping a fierce shot over the bar after Seaton caught Beer on the break.

With less than 10 minutes to go, and, for the third game in a row, Beer conceded a late penalty. Seaton’s French struck a fierce shot to Jones’ right, but the keeper made a fantastic save, pushing the ball on to the underside of the crossbar and then blocking the rebound with another save. Then, dramatically, on 89 minutes, Seaton equalised. French floated a free kick into a crowded six-yard box which Jones was unable to punch away under pressure and Seaton player-boss Michael Hancock bundled the ball.

You may also want to watch:

With 10 minutes of added time, there were half-chances for either side to clinch game but, overall, 1-1 was a fair result.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus