Beer flat first half leaves too much to do
University 3, Beer Albion 2 The Fishermen went down in a match that saw them the makers of their own downfall.
A lack lustre first half left them with far too much to do and, although they did boss the second period, the damage had been done in the first 45 minutes.
Trailing to a couple of goals Beer were back in the contest with the first piece of respectable football they produced with James Melville applying a clinical finish to a sweeping move.
However, defensive frailties were evident again as they shipped a third to go into the break two goals in arrears.
Boss Phil Crabb used strong half-time language and he certainly got the desired response as his side took control of the second half.
You may also want to watch:
They were only able to fashion one further goal scored by the industrious Mike Wheeler. They did have very good claims for a penalty.
James Melville was sent sprawling late in the game and both sets of players seemed to wait for the whistle which was not forthcoming!
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
Crabb said: “That was a huge disappointment for we shot ourselves in the foot with some woeful error making in the first half. Had we played the whole game as we did in the second period then we’d have bagged the three points that I feel we need to be taking from such opposition if we are to avoid being dragged into a dog fight at the foot of the table.”
On Saturday Beer entertain a Budleigh Salterton side who are now one of just four games between the Fishermen and the foot of the table.