Beer kick-off new term at Exmouth Town on Wednesday night
- Credit: Archant
Beer Albion look to be in good shape ahead of the new football season, writes Richard Honnor.
Once again, the Fishermen are able to field two sides in the Macron Devon and Exeter League.
The first team will be hoping to improve on last season’s creditable mid-table position in the Premier Division whilst Beer Reserves will face a big challenge, having moved up a level to Division Four in a newly-shaped league caused by the reduction in total number of teams entering the competition.
Most of last season’s players have remained with the club and a couple of old favourites, forward John Cooper and keeper Steve Jones are welcomed back after plying their trade elsewhere.
The Fishermen are also strengthened by several other new signings including a number of young players who have come through Mark Rooke’s successful Beer Juniors. So there will more competition for places this time around.
You may also want to watch:
The first team launch their league campaign with a flurry of fixtures starting with this Wednesday evening (August 23) and a tough-looking fixture away at Exmouth Town Reserves. Kick-off is at 7.45 pm. The home campaign starts on Saturday (August 26) against Elmore.
The kick-off for the game at Furzebrake, against a side many suggest will top the table at the end of the season, is 3pm and the match sponsor is Pecorama. This is quickly followed by a home fixture against Upottery next Tuesday (August 29) when Upottery are the visitors for a 6.30pm kick-off and the midweek match sponsor is Beer Fish and Chip Shop.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 9 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17