Beer player Bowles suffers career-ending injury in defeat to Newtown
- Credit: Archant
Beer Albion found themselves playing Newtown for the second time in two weeks and regrettably this meeting was no more fruitful than the last writes Roger Hoare.
The fishermen did stand shoulder to shoulder with their opponents for the first twenty minutes and young Seth Wakely had a glorious chance to put Beer in front inside the first minute, but the shot went wide.
Newtown began to find space on their left and exploited it twice , very clinically , and were comfortably 2-0 up as half-time approached,
However, with seconds of the half left, Beer player Chris Bowles fell and twisted his knee badly and was stretchered off .
The sight of a colleague sidelined waiting for an ambulance did nothing to help the rest of the team and Newtown added two more goals in the second half without reply. The knee injury suffered by Chris will sadly mean the end of his footballing career.
You may also want to watch:
Next up for the Fishermen this Saturday is an East Devon Senior Cup third round tie at home to Lympstone (2.30pm), with the match sponsored by Beer Fish, Sea Hill, Beer.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout