Beer spring shock of the day in Fresha League with Fenny victory
- Credit: Archant
Beer Albion pulled off the shock result of the day beating local rivals Feniton 4-3 to chalk up only their second league win of the season, writes Richard Honnor.
The away side took advantage of some sloppy Fenny defending and took an early lead through Seth Wakely. Fenny equalised through Brad Groves and then missed a great opportunity to take the lead when Dan Norman failed to convert a penalty.
Callum Gribble making his first start of the season put the visitors 2-1 in front with a fine finish. The Fishermen then extended their lead 3-1 through a Richard Walker penalty, but Feniton reduced the arrears just before half-time with Alex Frankpitt the scorer.
Early in the second half Gribble notched his second to put Beer 4-2 up, back once again Feniton hit back to make it 4-3 thanks to a Ben Ede goal.
That set up a grandstand finish, but the Fishermen held on to secure a most welcome three points.
You may also want to watch:
The Beer Man of the Match award went to Seth Wakely who was a constant menace to Fenny’s defenders.
There was more good news for the Fishermen when they heard last week that they had been re-instated to the Throgmorton Devon Premier Cup after South West Peninsular League outfit St Martins fielded an ineligible player in their 7-1 first round win against the Fishermen!
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 7 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 8 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 9 The questions of British Lions selection
- 10 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
This means that Beer will now face another Peninsula League, Eastern Division side when they host Budleigh Salterton this Saturday (November 7) with the Furzbrake game kicking-off at 2pm.
The Match Sponsors for the big cup tie are The Colcombe Beer Boys.