Beer sunk by fellow strugglers in Fresha League Five meeting

Football generic picture

Football generic picture - Credit: Archant

After three weeks of inactivity, Beer Albion Reserves lost 3-1 against fellow Fresha League Division Five strugglers Sandford at the Furzebrake on Saturday, writes Richard Honnor.

The result meant that Sandford climbed above the Fishermen in the league table.

The Fishermen were troubled early on by the pace of the visitors and were regularly caught out on both flanks by the visitors’ direct wing play. Despite this Beer fashioned an opportunity after only six minutes when a flick from Nathan Newbery put Ross Broome in on goal but his shot was deflected away by Sandford keeper Hawkins.

Thereafter, it was one-way traffic as Sandford dominated possession with the Beer midfield unable to get any quality possession. For all their pressure however, the visitors rarely looked threatening in front of goal although home keeper Michael Westlake had to be alert after 16 minutes when he blocked a shot at close range from Sandford striker Rob Smith and then again on 35 minutes when under pressure he parried away a corner only for a Sandford midfielder to blast the ball over the bar from 20-yards.

Then, with half-time approaching, and completely against the run of play, Beer took the lead on 42 minutes, when a fine 20-yarder from Newbery caught Hawkins off his line and sailed over the Sandford keeper’s head into the roof of the net. The Fishermen’s lead was short-lived however and after Sandford missed a great opportunity on 43 minutes, they equalised on the stroke of half time through Smith who toe-poked the ball past Westlake from close range after Beer defenders had failed to clear their lines.

You may also want to watch:

The second half was one-way traffic although Beer fought hard and substitutes Todd Lewendon and Paul Langham added more craft to the team. Eventually after several missed opportunities and after a couple of valid penalty shouts were turned down, Sandford went ahead in the 73rd minute when unmarked midfielder Dan Uren hit an unstoppable shot after a clever corner was pulled back to him on the edge of the penalty area. Five minutes later Man of the Match Smith notched his second goal from close range to seal the points for the visitors.

For Beer, centre-back Josh Moughton played well and the team never gave up despite being well-beaten on the day.

Most Read

Next up for the Reserves is a Saturday (February 27) meeting with mid-table Priory at the Furzebrake, kick off at 3 pm. The match sponsor is Jean Bartlett Holiday Cottages, Fore Street, Beer.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus