Beer win thrilling derby at Seaton

Seaton at home to Beer. Ref mhsp 05-17TI 6188. Picture: Terry Ife

Seaton at home to Beer. Ref mhsp 05-17TI 6188. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

In front of a large crowd at Colyford Road, Beer Albion came out on top in the East Devon derby with an emphatic 5-1 win over Seaton Town, writes Richard Honnor.

It was a bizarre, yet thrilling match, with a benign first half apart from a stunning 10 minute period of play in the Fishermen’s favour, whilst the second half produced the rip-roaring contest normally associated with these two sides when they play each other.

The first 25 minutes were uneventful. The Seasiders had most of the possession and were passing the ball neatly with midfielders Richie Durrant and Jacob Rowe pulling the strings.

But they lacked penetration in the final third and the Beer defence with three centre backs Denslow, Adkin, and Foster dominant, were coping comfortably.

The Fishermen however, hardly managed to get the ball out of their own half had to wait until the 26th minute for their first attacking threat after striker Richard Walker made a good run down the left channel only to miscue his shot into keeper’s arms.

You may also want to watch:

This sparked the game into life and a minute later Seaton missed a great opportunity volleying over the bar from close range following a corner.

Then, in a breath-taking six-minute spell the Fishermen took control of the match. On 28 minutes, they were awarded a penalty when Jacob Clode was pushed off the ball in the box as he ran on to Walker’s through ball.

Most Read

Midfielder Simon Smith rifled home an unstoppable penalty. Beer were now surging forward, and, on 33 minutes, Andrew Foster delivered a fine low cross from the left which eluded the Seaton defence and presented George Harwood with an open goal. The youngster coolly tapped in for a 2-0 lead. It was 3-0 for Beer one minute later! Smith set up Clode, who was again brought down in the box. Claims for another penalty were waved away by referee Clutterbuck, but it didn’t matter as Seaton failed to clear their lines and Walker threaded a great ball to Clode whose cross was turned in by the despairing Seasiders centre back.

On 36 minutes Seaton almost pulled a goal back when Adkin cleared his lines after a defensive mix up. Then the game reverted back to the pattern of the first quarter with Seaton dominating possession, penning Beer in their own half but producing little threat in front of goal.

In contrast, the Seasiders lifted the tempo after the break and began to pose much more of a goal threat. The Fishermen’s left flank was being regularly outpaced and on 49 minutes keeper Mark Rooke produced a fine save as he tipped over a fierce volley following a deep cross from the right. From the resulting corner, Rooke again came to his side’s rescue when he got down to save Wakely’s low shot. A Seaton goal looked inevitable and sure enough it came on 55 minutes when Rowe shot home from 18-yards to make the score 3-1.

But, as the Seasiders pushed forward in search of another goal they were caught out on 57 minutes when Beer’s Chris Long dispossessed the Seaton centre back and executed clinically from 18 yards to restore a three goal advantage for the visitors.

Seaton were by no means finished and threw everything at their opponents. But, although the home side were technically superior in midfield, Beer’s central midfielders Sam Phillips and Simon Smith worked incredibly hard to contain them.

The Seasiders did however, create some great chances during this period of play, but failed to convert them and they were desperately unlucky on 67 minutes when Josh French shot narrowly wide from 20 yards after Smith was dispossessed.

As Seaton threw caution to the wind, Beer’s forwards were finding space on the break with Harwood increasingly prominent down the right and Long posing problems up front.

Long had a couple of chances to increase the Fishermen’s lead but even in the last ten minutes Seasiders were still pushing on.

They had appeals for a penalty turned down on 82 minutes and missed a great opportunity two minutes later, shooting wide with the Beer defence in disarray, and then Adkin again clearing off his line.

But on 86 minutes, Long put the game well and truly out of Seaton’s reach with a brilliant goal. Harwood broke down the right and found Luke Morrison’s whose laid the ball to Long running in from the left. Man of the match Long brilliantly chipped the keeper to complete the scoring.

This Saturday (February 4), Beer are at home to third-placed Elmore and after this fine display they will hoping for a positive result. Kick-off at the Furzebrake is at 3pm. The sponsors of this game are Richard Honnor, Peter Adkin, and David Graham, all regular followers of Beer Albion.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus