Bess brothers in Devon squad for Unicorns meeting with Berkshire
- Credit: Archant
All three Bess brothers are in Devon’s 12-man squad for the Unicorns Championship game against Berkshire at Newbury.
Sidmouth skipper Luke Bess has been called up for the three-day game, starting on Sunday, after Exeter opposite number Alex Barrow pulled out due to work commitments.
Luke Bess joins brothers and clubmates Zak and Josh in the team again.
All three played together in a handful of games last season: against Dorset, Oxfordshire and Cheshire.
North Devon paceman Jack Popham has been recalled to the 12 after six weeks on the injury list. He last featured in Devon’s KO Cup win over Suffolk at Sidmouth in mid-June.
You may also want to watch:
Three spinners have been retained – Bovey’s Toby Codd, Falmouth’s Jamie Stephens and Sidmouth’s Max Hancock – although whether all three play will depend on the pitch at Falkland CC.
“I am told it is a true and sound surface so it may be we need the extra seamer for this one,” said Donohue.
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 5 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 8 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 9 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
Left-arm spinner Hancock had a tough debut against Herefordshire in Devon’s last match, taking two wickets at a cost of 99 runs across both innings.
Donohue believes in giving young players opportunities and is standing by Hancock.
“Don’t forget, he is only 16 and it is a tough ask stepping up to this level of cricket,” said Donohue.
“There are very few players available to us who do what he does – turn the ball away from the right-hander – and we want him to improve.
“This is an opportunity for him to gain more of the experience he needs.”
Devon have yet to win in this season’s championship having drawn with Wales first out and lost to Cornwall and Wales since.
Berkshire, the defending champions, are unbeaten at the top of the table and bidding for a third successive Unicorns crown.
Devon (home club): J J Bess (Sidmouth), G B Allen (Torquay), L F O Bess (Sidmouth) J H J Mailling (Bovey Tracey), D R Pyle (Exmouth), Z G G Bess (Sidmouth), J O Hagan-Burt (Plymouth), J A Stephens (Falmouth), D J Goodey (Plymouth), J R Popham (North Devon), M W Hancock (Sidmouth), T J R Codd (Bovey Tracey).