Bessies Badgers take the honours in rugby club ‘re-opening’ competition
- Credit: Archant
Following the successful youth touch rugby tournament held as part of the Sidmouth Rugby Club re-opening events, it was the turn of the seniors to join the colts for a tournament last weekend sponsored by Fords South West, writes Terry O’Brien.
Luke Bess picked up his second trophy in consecutive weeks, adding this to the somewhat more prestigious Tolchards Devon League Premier East title, as he led his team, Bessie’s Badgers, to victory.
About 50 players made up four teams playing 10-a-side touch rugby on a three-quarter size pitch in a round robin league format with the top two sides playing off in the final.
With the current restrictions on contact, touch rugby has played a major part in training sessions overseen by head coach Phil Dolman and assistant Jack Yeandle.
The result is a skillful, high-paced game which provides a stern test for the cardiovascular system.
You may also want to watch:
Just as importantly it is very entertaining for the spectator without the need to understand the complex laws and darker arts of the full contact game. All with the bar open and food on sale.
In the final, Bessie’s Badgers defeated the Colts to win the Ford’s trophy presented by Fords South West director David Salter.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
There will be more touch rugby on show at the Blackmore Field on Saturday (September 26) starting at 2pm as our players prepare for their first inter-club encounter.
A triangular competition has been arranged with Crediton and Tiverton with a session at each venue during October.
Sidmouth will host their section competition on Saturday, October 17.