Best 2nd XV match of season so far

With a gap in the inclement weather almost long enough for the entire match, the teams made the most of it to produce a close encounter with some good rugby.

With a gap in the inclement weather almost long enough for the entire match, the teams made the most of it to produce a close encounter with some good rugby.Having lost narrowly to a well-drilled Torquay side earlier in the season, who have gone on to dominate most of their opposition, Sidmouth's performance was worthy of much praise. From the kick off Sids stated their intention by running hard at the opposition. On five minutes a penalty was awarded for interference with the jumper at the line-out. Martin Ford, with the wind at his back, duly slotted the ball over the posts for a three point lead. Torquay responded with a close forward move to open their account with an unconverted try. A further score was prevented by Olly Pyne, playing on the wing as a late addition after the Colts' game was cancelled. Some excellent aggressive tackling from the back row provided turnover possession and created a couple of overlaps that should have been converted to points but only resulted in a further penalty from the boot of Ford. As Sidmouth were in the driving seat with five minutes of the half remaining, Torquay conceded another penalty for hand in the ruck, again three points added by Ford. On half time the visitors were caught offside but Ford's attempted kick from half way fell just short, leaving Sidmouth with a nine points to five advantage.Against the wind in the second half Sidmouth were prepared for defending deep but Torquay used their forwards' punch up the middle and were rewarded with a score after eight minutes. Excellent scrummaging produced several takes against the head and good quick possession, but the visitors' defence held despite attacks by Scott Davies and Jon Gardiner. Against the play Torquay forwards looked to be easily held up over the line but a try was given by the ref to make the score 9-15. A penalty for hands in the ruck enabled the lead to increase by a further three points with 15 minutes remaining. From the restart Sidmouth were not outside the Torquay 22 for the remainder of the match. Two collapsed scrums by the defence conceded a penalty that was taken quickly to Reg Turner to show a turn of speed to touch down close in. Ford converted. Despite more pressure unfortunately time ran out to leave Torquay still two points in the lead. This was one of the best team performances of the season where everyone played their part well.

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus