Bicton Arena to host international stars at end-of-season foray
- Credit: Archant
Bicton Arena is readying itself for the conclusion to the 2019 eventing season, and with nearly 700 entries for its competition, which runs from October 24 to 27, it will be a superb finale for riders and spectators alike, writes Lucy Johnson.
Competing at the event is the 2014 Badminton Horse Trials winner Sam Griffiths, World Equestrian Games 2018 silver medallist Padraig McCarthy and multiple British team medallist William Fox-Pitt.
Among the official sponsors is feed supplement company Animalife, which is also providing boxes of its acclaimed Competition Survival Packs in the goody buckets for riders in the international classes.
Team Animalife's sponsored rider Alex Holman, who will ride four horses at the event including Hocus Locus IV and Carrick Diamond Bard in the two-star class, said: "Bicton is one of my favourite events and it looks set to be a great conclusion to the 2019 season. I am very lucky with the sponsors I have including Animalife, which I feed to my horses and really notice a difference in their performance levels."
Other sponsors at the event include Pure Estate Management (which will provide a welcome drink), Rathbones, Empire Coach Builders, WH Bond, Taylor Wimpey, Leonard Coombes Master Saddlers and Country Life, Redpost Equestrian, Wyvern Equestrian, Protexin, Wychanger and Equine H, with bouquets for winning riders sponsored by Halley Floral Designs.
You may also want to watch:
Riders of international acclaim will be seen in action, including Harry Meade and Ryuzo Kitajima in addition to Fox-Pitt, McCarthy and Griffiths.
An end-of-season party on the Saturday night is due to feature live music from Riviera Dogs and a hog roast will add to the party atmosphere.
- 1 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 2 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 3 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 4 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 7 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 8 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 9 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
Organiser Helen West said: "The courses are all looking fantastic here and we're all looking forward to providing the perfect conclusion to the 2019 season. There will be a party in the marquee on the Saturday night with live music and a hog roast, and we'll be adding lots of special touches to ensure the competitors have a great time, and so that spectators feel welcome here too. There's lots to see over the three days and we have on-site catering and trade stands to browse."
Entry is £10 per car on each day, with the end-of-season party £10 per ticket.