Birch hits maiden century as Tipton St John see off touring side
- Credit: Archant
Tipton St John were 40 run winners when they entertained visiting side Worcestershire-based Clent, writes Phil Wright.
Batting first, the home side quickly lost two players who had made their best scores for Tipton the previous weekend.
Chris Tubbs and David Thayre had scored 42 and 97 respectively, but this week were dismissed for three and one.
Only opening batsman Tom Birch was able to cope with the bowling on a turning wicket. Tipton were soon 41-5, but then Dave Dawson joined Birch and the pair carried the total to 70 when Dawson was dismissed for eight.
Phil Wright provided support for Birch to help him reach his maiden 50 and then advance Tipton’s score beyond 100.
You may also want to watch:
Wright was eventually caught for 14, but the remaining batsmen left Birch stranded on 62 not out as the home effort with the bat closed on 107.
Some good and consistent bowling by David O’Higgins and Mark Channon kept the Clent reply in check with O’Higgins taking two wickets and Channon one.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
When they retired from the attack the Clent score was 40-3. The pressure was maintained by accurate bowling by Paul Williamson and Phil Wright.
Clent did not recover from losing four wickets mid-innings for the addition of just 11 runs and were eventually all out for 67. Williamson, with 3-10, and Wright, 3-15, were aided by good catches by David Thayre and two from Tom Birch to give him a good afternoon at the office!