Bishop continues to fly the flag for Sidmouth Bowls Club
Sidmouth Bowls Club have had very good reason to be proud of late - particularly in regard to the ladies indoor bowls, writes Susie Bonnell.
One of the club’s stalwart members - Jill Bishop - has been putting Sidmouth’s name on the map!
At the beginning of the season Jill was delighted to be invited by the Devon County League of Indoor Bowls Association (DCLIBA) to trial for the South West League and the Atherley Trophy squad.
In a competitive selection process, Jill was successful in being selected for both and has played in all the matches.
It is many years since Sidmouth have had a player in these competitions. Jill says that she feels very honoured to play for her County and to be flying the flag for Sidmouth.
You may also want to watch:
The South West League involves playing six rinks home and away against Cornwall, Dorset and Somerset. To date Devon has played Cornwall twice and Dorset and Somerset once - Devon are performing very well in the league.
The Atherley Trophy is a national knock out competition (also six rinks). Devon have been successful in beating Dorset in their first round and Wiltshire in the quarter final they now play Surrey in the semi-final on March 15. It’s fantastic news for Jill, and for Sidmouth. We will be willing her and the squads on to more success.
- 1 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 4 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 5 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 6 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 7 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 8 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 9 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 10 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
On another note, in the County indoor competitions, Sidmouth ladies have had another success story!
Jean Brimson, Ann Capon, Jane Painter and Jill Bishop won their latest round in the County Fours, beating a strong team from Honiton. This win now puts them in the County Section finals.
We won’t reveal the average age of these ladies – but, if you’ve had enough of sitting at home watching TV and sipping a cup of cocoa, they are amazing examples of what you can achieve in this Olympic sport. Sidmouth bowls club welcomes new bowlers with open arms.