Bishop plays part as Devon ladies’ bowl to Atherley Trophy final berth
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth bowler Jill Bishop was part of the victorious Devon side that bowled to victory in the semi-finals of the Atherley Trophy, writes Jenny Fricker.
It was certainly a close encounter with Devon ending one shot ahead of Surrey.
Indeed, the outcome was in the balance until the very last wood on the very last end!
Well done, Jill and the Devon team. In the final Devon will meet Norfolk on April 16, when all our thoughts will be with Jill and the team.
In Sidmouth bowling there was a Lane trophy meeting with Mid Devon. The Sidmouth players at last realised their full potential by winning on all four rinks and gaining the maximum 10 points against!
You may also want to watch:
This result moved the team up the league table and certainly suggests better times ahead – real promise for the future?
However, a mediocre season means that at the conclusion of the matches Sidmouth ranked sixth out of the 9 clubs involved.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 7 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
In the win over Mid Devon the best Sidmouth rink was the one of Lorna Lever, Anita Mason and Jane Painter.
In a friendly match against Dawlish there was just a single rink success for Sidmouth – congratulations to Brenda Somerfield, Elaine Reed and Jane Painter – there was defeat on the other two rinks played.
Ladies are reminded that the indoor AGM is to be held on Wednesday, April 6, at 2.30pm. Please everyone, do attend, this is your chance to get any views across.