Botswana experience was one to savour for Sidmouth Doctor
Sidmouth-based Doctor Sally Dutson thoroughly enjoyed here recent time with the England girls netball tour to Botswana.
The team, made up of girls from 15 to 18 years, won every match that they played and also defeated both the Botswana senior team and the Under-20 side.
Doctor Dutson said: “Medically, the preparations were exhaustive. I don’t think anyone realises how much planning needs to go into these type of tours. Up to a year of planning for logistics can fall apart when you get to Africa with their approach to organisation being somewhat different to ours. However, with the right planning you can adapt whilst on tour.”
She continued: “My job was to bring with us all the possible medications and equipment needed for emergencies and more routine minor illnesses and injuries. Whilst on tour I dealt with issues as they arose. Fortunately we were well prepared for the ankle injuries, head laceration and minor illnesses that occurred.
“Botswana is a developed country, having a diamond industry. This money has been invested in infrastructure so the roads, hospitals and facilities are similar to UK standards.
You may also want to watch:
“The people were very friendly and helpful and as a pre-cursor for the World Youth Championships in 2017 the time, money and effort spent on the tour should be a good preparation.”
Dr Dutson returned from the tour with a wider experience of dealing with athletes when healthy and not just injured.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
She said: “My own netball experience has been enhanced by seeing a tour from the organisers aspect not just as a player. I hope that in the future, Jo Avery from First Physio and myself would be able to offer more netball specific physiotherapy and sport and exercise medicine locally in Devon.”
Dr Dutson played in the Exeter Netball League for Mixers and Jo Avery turns out in the same competition for Wasps.