Brace of wins takes Sidmouth to top of the East Devon League Division Four table.
Sidmouth Tennis Club Mixed Team is closing in on what would be back-to-back promotions, writes David Thorneley.
The reason for the heightened state of anticipation is the recent double success which has taken the team to the top of the Division Four table in the East Devon tennis League.
In the first of the two recent successes, team captain Nicki Keele partnered Peter Fung whilst completing the four on duty were Greg Pepper and Lesley Cranston and that proved too powerful for hosts Woodbury with the visitors not dropping a set!
Such is the strength of the squad Keele decided to rest herself , bringing in Mark Heywood and Debbie Snelgrove for the home fixture with Lympstone ,with Peter Fung and Lesley Cranston teaming up in a new pairing.
The match proved to be very competitive with Cranston and Fung opening with a victory but suffering a reverse in the second rubber, be it only by a narrow margin. Heywood and Snelgrove have struck up a good understanding and needed all their court craft to claim victory in their first rubber that went to a tie break.
You may also want to watch:
With the overall result still in the balance, the pairing had to show even greater determination to edge home in their second encounter which similarly saw a tie break deciding the outcome.
Both pairings can feel very pleased with their efforts in such a close encounter that ended 6-4 in favour of Sidmouth.
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 3 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Summer play season returns safe and sound after 'challenging year'
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 8 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 9 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open