Bright start for valley’s junior footballers

HEMYOCK proved quicker off the mark in the new season than STJV Raiders Under 11s and were 2-0 up in the first five minutes, writes Philip Vellender.

Despite this initial set-back, the Raiders started to find their feet and, despite dominating almost every area of the pitch, they were still 2-0 down at the break.

However, Hemyock went further ahead with a second half goal-mouth scramble, but Raiders didn't give up and it wasn't long before their efforts were rewarded. Scott Hughes scored from a cross by Adam Harris, and just a few moments later, Scott got his second to make it 2-3 and set up an exciting last 15 minutes.

Raiders created lots of chances as they looked for the equaliser. Hemyock did threaten to increase their lead at times on the counter-attack, but Sam Hunt in goal handled everything that was kicked at him.

The boys can rest assured that, if they continue to perform like this, they will be winning many more games than they lose in the rest of the season.

You may also want to watch:

Raiders MOTM: Scott Hughes

? Sidmouth Warriors U11s gave everything but lost out 5-2 after a close encounter at West Hill, writes Simon Jones.

Most Read

They got off the mark after just 10 minutes when a great passing move between Silks, Gosse and Buckland saw Buckland slot home. A great save from new keeper Leon Sinker kept West Hill at bay. Unfortunately a few minutes later a flying tackle from Hayman was adjudged to have tripped the West Hill striker and a penalty was awarded which Sinker couldn’t keep out and it was 1-1 at half time.

The second half started as a tight affair. A long range effort put Wasps 2-1 up before a great strike from Mead was too hot for their goalkeeper to handle and Gosse notched his first of the season. A mad five minute spell saw West Hill score three goals and, try as they might, Warriors couldn’t get back into it. Great teamwork with a never say die attitude summed up the Warriors display.

? Sidmouth Town Junior Vikings U9 Raiders lost 4-1 in their opening match at home to Thorverton, writes Simon James

Sidmouth went on the attack but were unable to score. Thorverton came back strongly and, despite brave efforts from defenders, scored their first goal. Sidmouth recovered quickly as Cole Monaghan and Scott Gibson got back up the field for Jake Jones to deliver a classy equaliser. Thorverton scored again just before half time.

After half time, valiant efforts and skilful teamwork and passing was not enough to stop two more goals from Thorverton. Isaac James worked hard and was under constant pressure in this non-stop game.

They got back to winning form against Newton Knights 2-0.

Jake Jones, George Salter and Scott Gibson were on the attack quickly. Thomas West and Theo Burne defended well against the first Newton Knight attack. Ollie Jones, Finlay Morgan and Cole Monaghan kept up the pressure on the Newton defence but the first goal eluded them until half time.

After half time Sidmouth came alive. A handball by Newton allowed Alex Jones to convert a penalty for a one nil lead. Goalkeeper Isaac James stopped the few chances that Newton had. Alex Michell scored a superb goal for a 2-0 win.

During the game, one of the Raiders’ top players George Salter sustained an injury and was taken to hospital for a check up. I am happy to report all is well and George is home and looking forward to his next game. We all wish him well.

? Sidmouth Town U15s drew 1-1 with OTTERY ST MARY as they got the new season up and running in an excellent match, writes Dickie Seldon.

With new signing Will Price anchoring the team from a centre-back position, Sidmouth looked solid and balanced.

Early chances in the first half came when long-range free kicks from Price put pressure on the Ottery keeper, but Sidmouth weren’t sharp enough to follow up on the loose ball.

Ottery came into the game, using the slope to their advantage and pinning Sidmouth in their half.

As Sidmouth struggled to deal with this pressure, they lost shape and started to struggle to clear their lines;- things which the boys are working hard at avoiding. It came as no surprise when Ottery took the lead on the half-hour when the ball wasn’t cleared from a corner and Nat Pohl was allowed to turn and fire home in the six-yard box.

This seemed to wake Sidmouth up again and, after a bit more pressure in Ottery’s half, Conor Ellis and Will Jenkins linked up and pressured the Ottery defence into losing the ball, allowing Jenkins to fire home the rebound.

The 2nd half was end-to-end stuff. Sidmouth were on top for 20 minutes, with Price firing home a free kick from the edge of the box, only for the referee to disallow the goal as he hadn’t blown his whistle.

Quick-thinking Price, was dismayed to see his second attempt hit the crossbar and bounce down onto the line to be scrambled away. Sidmouth thought they had earned a penalty as Will Sanders was upended in the box, but the ref waved play on!

For the final 15 minutes, Sidmouth were hanging on under a barrage of pressure from Ottery, who seemed to step up a gear.

It’s to the boys’ credit that they held out, helped as so often by a couple of outstanding saves by keeper Dec Lines- one stop in particular at point blank range was a real match-saver.

To come away with a point, on reflection, was a great result, and, as match-fitness improves, the boys can look forward to a promising season.

This Saturday sees them at home to Central Spitfires, kick-off 10.30am at Newton Pop - come and cheer them along.

? Sidmouth Warriors U9s smashed home nine goals without reply at home to Newton Knights, writes James Morison.

Most of this game was spent in the Newton Knight’s half and it is credit to their goalkeeper that the score wasn't more. After early pressure, Ollie Pugsley opened the scoring. Sam Pyne started the move which lead to Ollie Pugsley's second goal. The scorer then crossed for Louis Morison to make it 3-0.

Tyler Wood provided the assist for Jordan Fowler to score the fourth.

A pinpoint corner enabled Louis Morison to score, and he completed his hat-trick before half time.

The second half followed the same pattern and, after Josh Roberts' shot was cleared off the line, Conor MacNamara Campbell poached his first goal. Wood and MacNamara Campbell scored their second for 9-0.

They went on to beat first timers Thorverton 6-1.

Goals came from Louis Morison, 2, and Tyler Wood one before Thorverton scored a great volley which made it 3-1, just before half time.

After the break Morison completed his hat-trick. MacNamara-Campbell scored and Jordan Fowler crossed for Josh Roberts to make it 6-1. Harry Ensall, in goal, made two fine saves at the end.

?Sidmouth U12s made a terrific start to their East Devon league season, beating Seaton Town 13-3, writes Sean Murphy.

The squad is made up mostly of players from the successful Saturday squad but also five players returning after a two-season absence.

Joe Miller opened the scoring and Jonny Dunn completed a first half hat-trick, as did Freddie King so Sidmouth went into half time 7-1 up.

The majority of the second half was played in the Seaton half.

Miller scored his second, Dunn added two more and Connor Murphy, Jamie Newbery and King completed the scoring.

Manager Sean Murphy would like to congratulate all of the players on a great performance, especially as most had played a tough physical match 24 hours earlier.

Credit must also go to Seaton who never let their heads drop and were rewarded with two late goals for their efforts

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus