Bright start for West Hill

Tenacious battling from both teams saw Sidmouth Vikings U16s record a rare goalless draw with their Honiton counterparts/

Tenacious battling from both teams saw Sidmouth Vikings U16s record a rare goalless draw with their Honiton counterparts, writes Marc Colson.

Sidmouth started the match putting pressure on the Honiton defence and were first to the ball at every occasion.

Tim Lister and Alex Martin worked well together and Dan Bartlett, who has grown into a strong player, was able to take on defenders with skill and dogged determination.

Greg Chaplin was on form with free kicks and corners, however, Honiton were also determined not to allow Sidmouth to take control.

You may also want to watch:

Keeper Robbie Powell produced many high quality saves from some quality shots. As Honiton applied their own pressure, the defence had to react quickly and clinically and Freddie Gardner, Matt Colson, Tom Clay and Matt Hill stood up well to clear their lines.

Both substitutes Dave Taylor and Andy Green were unlucky not to slot home the winners. Nathan Brace and Jules Hudson also had a solid game and as a team, everyone acquitted themselves well. Coach Simon Hudson said after the game: "There is a lot more to come from this team and they need to concentrate on finishing and fitness during training."

Most Read

WEST?HILL?U16s got off to a good start with matches against Central, which they drew 2-2, and Crediton which they won 6-1, writes Richard Gosney.

The fast improving Central provided competitive opponents, but West Hill were quick out of the blocks and a through ball found James Gosney inside the penalty area and he scored with a sweet left foot shot.

West Hill soon got a second, when Alfie Valentine beat the advancing keeper. Central pulled a goal back following a quickly taken free-kick and , within five minutes of the restart, had levelled with a well-struck effort from outside the box.

West Hill weathered 15 minutes of pressure and peppered the goal late on but were denied a winner. MOM was George Biggs.

Against Crediton, Sam Baker opened the scoring and West Hill had numerous chances before Crediton were thrown a lifeline through the award of a shock penalty, which they converted. Within three minutes, a corner from Nick Roberts found the head of Joe Daniels, who scored his first goal for the club. A good end to end game developed. West Hill increased their lead with another well-taken goal by Daniels. After the break, West Hill continued to press - Alfie Valentine latched onto a through ball to increase the lead. Valentine, together with Ash Baker, continued to cause the Crediton defence problems and he was rewarded with two typical "striker" goals to complete his hat-trick. Man of the Match was Tim Hughes.

A freak goal from a corner saw SIDMOUTH?TOWN U15s 1-0 down against St Martin's early on writes Scott Newbery.

They eventually lost 2-1. After that goal, Sidmouth started to get into it and put the ball in the net from Joe Nield, but it was ruled out for a foul on the keeper.

Near the end of the half Harry Nolan scored a deserved goal for a half time score of 1-1.

A good ball behind the defence found Ricki Harris who put it just wide. Then Sidmouth failed to clear and a St Martin's player scored at the back post. Sidmouth dominated at the end, but couldn't get the goal they deserved, having played well.

This Saturday Sidmouth are hoping to get their first points of the season when they host Pinhoe Spitfires, who have won both their matches.

Sidbury U13s opened their season with a game best described as a goal fest at home to Heavitree, but still managed to end up pointless, writes Julie Logan.

A total of twelve goals were scored, four Sidbury's, as the lead first went one way then the other in this entertaining game.

Ben Kidson was rewarded for his efforts when he equalised, 1-1, and was a constant threat up front whilst on the pitch.

Zac Mattin and Hamish Culling both scored on their debuts, Robert Mansfield put in a fine performance in midfield before having to retire through injury. Billy Reed also did a good job in the heart of the Sidbury midfield.

Heavitree's early season fitness probably proved the deciding factor, but heads should not drop from this first performance.

Three quick goals in the space of four minutes for Heavitree seemed to have put the game beyond United, but back they came with a well-taken goal from Connor Long, and created more chances that they were unable to convert.

Sidmouth Town Under-12s Raiders enjoyed a glorious 4-1 win over West Hill in their first match of the season, writes Cath Sage.

The boys pulled together to produce a comfortable win in the sunshine! Dan Swain scored first by a run through the defence then hammering the ball in the back of the net. Josh Edwards set up the second goal by flicking the ball on with a header to Dan who battled through and passed to Josh Worthington to make the score 3-0.

The sun was starting to take its toll on the boys and the second half was evenly matched. West Hill had many more chances and Raiders' keeper Toby Lee made some excellent saves before they scored with an impressive long range shot. An exciting game ended with a wonderfully placed corner from Nathan Penhallurick. The coaches were extremely impressed with the commitment and energy of their newly-formed team. Parents' Man of the Match was shared between Josh Edwards and Toby Lee, with a special mention to Oli Aplin who showed great sportsmanship.

George Salter scored a goal in the first three minutes for Sidmouth Town Junior Vikings U8 Raiders Match who drew 1-1 with Whipton Youth, writes Wade Monaghan.

Raiders continued with strong attacking from Thomas Mead and Oliver Jones. Any breaks from Whipton were soon quashed by great clearances and defensive play from Harry Emmett and Dylan Lascelles, while Toby Neumegen set up some good breaks.

Keeper Isaac James made some good saves, keeping the Raiders 1-0 up at half time.

After the break, Ben Scrivens was stopping attacks at the half way line and getting the ball to Richie Drewett who carved his way through the Whipton defence. Late in the second half Whipton came back with a lucky equaliser, which did not dampen the Raiders' spirits.

More near misses from Cole Monaghan and Thomas Mead kept the pressure on right up to the final whistle. An unfortunate draw for the Raiders in a game that they dominated throughout.

sidmouth town under-8s warriors started their season at home with a 13-0 victory over Whipton U8s and a 7-1 win over Sidmouth Town U8s Raiders, writes Rob Fowler.

The team had spent a lot of time training and got off to a good start against Whipton, passing the football well and winning tackles.

Louis Morison scored the first goal, Oliver Pugsley made it 2-0.

When Morison got his second, Warriors started running riot. Jordan Fowler rattled the bar from distance and Pugsley saw a good effort go just wide.

Subs came on at half time but Sam Pyne scored early on, and further goals came from Jake Jones, 3, Tyler Wood 2, Scott Gibson, 2, and an own goal. Credit to Whipton who never gave up .

The second game saw Sidmouth Town under-8s Warriors play Sidmouth Town u8s Raiders

Friends and classmates were pitched against each other in the Warriors v Raiders match which was a good advert for local junior football at such a young age.

Warriors's goals were scored by Oliver Pugsley, 3, Jordan Fowler, 2, Sam Pyne, Tyler Wood. Raiders' goal was scored by George Salter .

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus