Brookes bags four wickets in Ottery St Mary Under-13 success
- Credit: Archant
Ottery under 13s secured their most comprehensive win of an unbeaten season with a 98- run victory over Whimple when the sides met to contest a Bradleys East Devon Youth League fixture.
Stand-in Ottery skipper Ben Lawler, won the toss and batted first. Lawler, leading by example, launched things in real style with a whirlwind knock of 31.
Lawrence Walker was in superb form at the other end and their opening stand gave Ottery just the platform needed for a big score.
Walker eventually retired on 44 (after hitting a massive six) and, after James Tyler’s eight, Sachin Coppell came in and kept the momentum going with a fluent 29. Matt Jeacock’s 13 helped Ottery reach 167-5 from their 20 over stint with the bat.
In reply only one visiting batsman made it into double figures, and three bowling performances stood out.
You may also want to watch:
Leading the way was Joe Brookes who returned the magnificent figures of 4-24.
Ollie Brealy claimed two wickets for six runs and Matt Jeacock finished off the game with two wickets in as many deliveries as Whimple were bowled out for just 69
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 6 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
Ottery are back in league action on Monday when they face Sampford Peverell at home.