Brown lands fifth Sidmouth men’s singles title
- Credit: Archant
Those bowlers who managed to secure a place in the various finals matches eagerly awaited their games over a period of three days last week, writes Susie Bonnell.
The various matches all proved worthy of a classic final, all were closely matched, competitive and very well played.
Inevitably there were winners and losers - well no-one was a loser, maybe just a runner-up. One memorable game was the mixed pairs - played by Wilf Radburn and Jan Jameson Bates against Ken Wheeler and Ann Elwood.
It was a close tussle all the way through the 21 ends played, but in the end a win was secured by Wilf and Jan.
In the Turner Cup (the club championship), Jane Painter was the winner and Ken Wheeler the runner-up.
You may also want to watch:
Tony Brown secured the men’s top title for the fifth time, this year defeating Bill Sherman in the final.
In the men’s matchplay singles, Bob Seldon took the honours with Ray Tallent the runner-up.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
Ken Wheeler partnered Mick Cox to edge out John Mason and David Butlerr to win the men’s pairs title.
The men’s nominated triples title was won by The Whisperers, with the appropriately named The Also Rans, ending as runners-up.
A huge round of thanks is due to all the competitors, the competition secretaries, who carry out an amazing job in sorting out the logistics of each competition, and all the markers and umpires.
The worthy winners and their opponents will be receiving their accolades at the annual presentation dinner which is schedule for Saturday, May 20.