Brown nets ‘goal of the season’ contender as Sidmouth Warriors win U14 local derby
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Warriors Under-14s were 4-2 winners when they contested an Exeter and District Youth League Division Two local derby against West Hill Wasps.
With familiarity across the two sides from school etc, there were plenty of personal battles fought in all areas of the pitch!
Warriors opened the scoring with a deft chip from Luke Guerin. Pablo Alvarez added a second and he would also have scored another, to make it 3-0, had not an incredible effort from fully 30 yards cannoned back off the crossbar!
Two minutes after the Alvarez ‘super strike’ Wasps were back in the contest as they took full advantage of some sleepy Warriors defending!
Warriors were soon back onto the front foot, controlling the game and the chances began to come at regular intervals. However, a combination of some outstanding goalkeeping by the Wasps glovesman and the frame of the goal meant no further goals were added until a contender for the goal of the season!
You may also want to watch:
Guerin chipped down the line to Goody, who showed superb touch and hit a brilliant half-volley pass to Connor Brown, who promptly lashed home from 25 yards out. It was a simply stunning goal. However, Wasps would not buckle and they scored next to make it 3-2 before Goody struck with a trademark goal to make it 4-2.
West Hill Wasps had the final say in terms of the goal scoring with a late third, but Warriors were not be denied a richly deserved victory.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
Credit must go to both teams for serving up what was a terrific contest played in a wonderful spirit.