Caldwell and Cranston take doubles
The afternoon of Sidmouth TC’s fun day to meet new coach Ben Elliot, saw the adults engage in some none-too-serious doubles, a tennis version of musical chairs but without the music, writes Lesley Cranston.
Sunday saw more serious competition as the ladies took to the courts in the annual doubles tournament. This year the event was changed to a round robin format played in one day with pairings drawn at random from the entries.
This produced a very sociable atmosphere, admirably organised by Nicki Keele who magnanimously withdrew from playing when one of the pairs was let down by a no-show.
The day produced some tight matches with little to choose between the ‘teams’. The winners of each section, as determined by totalling games won, played out the decider with Hilary Caldwell and Lesley Cranston just coming out on top over Mary Dean and Di Kendall-Torry in the final.
The spectators also played their part especially in their response to some of the more unusual shot-making! Definitely, another fun day.
You may also want to watch:
On Sunday it is the turn of the men in their doubles competition with the mixed the following week.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman