Captain Newnham lands Singles Championship at Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
With only a month to go until the close of the outdoor season, things are hotting up for the Over-50s League final results, with Sidmouth being a close contender for both blue and yellow titles, writes Mary Turner.
The Yellows played at Shaldon where unfortunately they lost both matches.
A friendly was played against local rivals Madeira at Sidmouth and Sidmouth won on three rinks whilst also losing on one.
The winning teams were J Thomson, M Bristow, E Reed and J Bishop (34-10); K Hollingdale, A Elwood, J Brimson and J Painter (27-11) and P Pritchard D Pound C Hamer and V Newnham (20-17).
Well done to all the ladies.
You may also want to watch:
As reported last week, the County Badge achieved by Jill Bishop was for indoors not outdoors, she has already got her outdoor badge!
The first finals day took place last Thursday and it saw the ladies pairs final contested with E Reed and J Bishop emerging victorious after an enthralling match with S Mison and J Painter. Congratulations to Jill and Elaine and commiserations to Sue and Jane.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
In the Grace Porter Final the winning team was J Brimson, M Smith and J Green with runners-up being A Mason, Z Johnson and J Fricker, this after another closely contested match.
The ladies two wood was won by J Brimson with J Bishop the gallant runner-up.
B Somerfield won The Mitchell Plate with J Fricker the runner-up whilst J Painter won her match against E Reed in The Ladies Handicap.
Captain V Newnham was victorious against J Brimsom in The Ladies Singles Championship. Congratulations to all the winners and commiseration to the losers.
The Over-50s Yellow team had a victory against a team from Budleigh Salterton.
The winning teams were: C Radburn, E Reed and J Fricker (16-15) and A Mason, M Smith and V Newnham (17-14).
Meanwhile, Sidmouth had a friendly also against Budleigh winning on two rinks and losing on one with the victorious rinks being S Bonnell, S Mison, P Wrench and Z Johnson (30-15) and B Somerfield M Ervine, J Green and J Bishop (19-13).